Skip to content

Passports and Visas


If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately as the process can be a lengthy one. Some countries require that you have a passport valid for several months past the end of the program date. Please check the consulate of your host country if your passport expires within 3 months after the end of the program. For information on how to apply for a passport check for more information.  Pay specific attention to the time lines of both passport processing and visa processing to ensure that you give yourself enough time.

What is a visa? A visa grants permission for you to enter your host country in a particular status. Usually you will be required to apply for a “student visa”.  Not all programs or countries will require a visa. Please make sure to contact your program provider or local university for information regarding student visa requirements. The best place to find current information about student visas and visa application procedures is the website of the relevant Embassy or Consulate General of your host country here in the U.S. On these websites, you should be able to discover whether you need a visa to study in your host country, where and how to apply for a visa, what documents you will need, and any associated costs.

Timing is also important when you are applying for your student visa. The processing time for a student visa may be anywhere from 48 hours to 8 weeks. Do not leave this until the last minute!!!

If you are interested in working or interning while abroad, please check with your program regarding the legality of working in your host country.  A particular visa may be required for work or intern eligibility.

 If you are an international student, please contact the ISSO to let them know you are going abroad. You should also check into any restrictions your U.S. student visa may impose upon you with regard to traveling to other countries, and to re-entry requirements.